Applications for the 2021-2022 Class are Closed. Welcome class of 2021-22!
LifeSouth’s SBB program offers an online curriculum to propel your career and personal development
The LifeSouth Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) certificate program is an independent educational program offering training in all aspects of blood banking and transfusion medicine including: blood collection, product manufacturing, transfusion medicine practice, immunohematology, specialized laboratory testing, quality systems, process control, education, and management. The curriculum and rotations are designed to improve your knowledge and technical abilities, preparing you to advance your career and successfully pass the ASCP SBB accreditation exam.
The comprehensive lectures and materials are provided by skilled faculty members and regularly reviewed for quality and accuracy. The program is designed to be completed remotely. Students may complete the required clinical experience and rotations through LifeSouth or at local, approved facilities.
Students who successfully complete the LifeSouth SBB program with a grade average of at least 80% may be eligible for course credit in the University of Texas Medical Branch Master of Science in Transfusion Medicine program. Visit www.utmb.edu for more information.
The LifeSouth program is currently seeking accreditation by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, email@example.com) and is in candidacy status. Accreditation is expected by 4th quarter 2021.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university including biology and chemistry courses.
- Three years of full-time clinical experience as a Medical Technologist in blood banking at a CLIA-accredited laboratory. These three years of experience must be acquired after the baccalaureate degree.
- Valid certification as Medical Technologist / CLS by a National accreditation body.
Length of the program
- 12 months, starting in June.
- LifeSouth SBB students must complete clinical, technical, and administrative rotations as assigned. LifeSouth can arrange rotations at sites in Florida and Georgia, or the student may arrange rotations at local sites with approval.
- More information can be found here: Clinical Rotations
Criteria for completion and graduation
- Students must
- Maintain an average of >75% on all module exams and >80% on the midterm and final exams.
- Complete clinical, technical and administrative rotations as assigned.
- The cost of the program is $5,000 per year, paid in two installments.
Information on the admissions process and forms can be found here
4039 Newberry Rd
LifeSouth Community Blood Centers, Inc
What are you doing down here? The good stuff is up there!